Solo this year

I'm three-peating this year and walking in Michigan.



Be sure to click on the walk summaries to read about Chicago & San Fran.

Sunday, August 21, 2011

MI 3 Day Walk Summary


DSCN0320
Opening ceremonies were wonderful!  They were held at Suburban Collection Showplace in Novi.  This year I was walking solo but not really alone.  Thursday night before the walk I met up with 14 Boobs and a Nutcase for dinner and stayed with them in a local hotel.  Yay for new 3 Day friends!!!  Also some of the Coconut Strutters were walking MI, so I knew I would have other friendly faces along the route.
The woman in orange on the right is Amy, Team Captain of the 14 Boobs.  She’s a survivor and an amazing woman.  Her whole family is involved in the 3 Day her husband(The Nutcase) and her daughter were crewing.
DSCN0330
The Opening Ceremonies are always emotional, this year was no different.
And then we were off!  Not far outside the ceremony I ran into Vanessa, Team Captain for the Coconut Strutters.  She was stalking us this weekend, as she’s walking Atlanta in a few weeks.
263314_780561347041_40009941_37467388_3855676_n
Oh yes and before I forget, yes I forgot my suspenders on Day 1.  I swear my memory is going in my old age!
The route on Day 1 was Novi through Northville and Farmington, the weather was nice and sunny.  Lisa a Coconut Strutter is in the middle pic.  New this year was the Youth Corp, kids that wanted to volunteer and be part of the 3 Day but were too young to crew or walk.  They were awesome!  They were at Pit Stops and along the route cheering us on.
DSCN0335
Look who had lunch at the Royal Wedding!  I even got a nice ring just like Kate’s. LOL



DSCN0336
Ponies in the front yard?  Only on the 3 Day.
DSCN0337
Day 1 was done and I had my first 3 Day blister ever!!! I had no idea what to do for it, but Medical was awesome and helped me out.  Not sure why I got a blister, blaming my age again.
See my tent in the third picture?  I had it all to myself!  I made it back pretty early to camp, was able to setup my tent, collect my mail and relax with a Dove icecream bar before dinner.  The entertainment that night was a Glee sing along, the Youth Corp did Don’t Stop Believing.  Did I mention how awesome they were?
DSCN0350
Day 2, the route opened at 6:40 and I started out again.  I decided to carry a flag for awhile.  I also remembered my suspenders today! 
The themes at the Pit Stops were great as usual, the Boobee’s really liked to shake it and kept us going with their music.  I had to grab a picture of the pink mohawk, not sure how much gel he had to use each morning to get that thing to stick up.
Day 2 takes us through Plymouth, I’ve been hearing stories about Plymouth and the cheer station there.  Wow.  It was amazing.  The whole town turns out to have a party downtown for us.  They even dye their fountain pink!  At that cheering station we also got to see Vanessa and Julie dressed up as pink flamingos.
DSCN0358
Lunch Day 2, the cool grass feels soooo good on my hot feet.
Some of the scenery from Day 2.
DSCN0365
Day 2 is over, 40 miles in!  And what the heck?!?!? I have more blisters.  I am getting old.
Saturday night there was a storm heading our way, they had the busses ready to evacuate us just in case.  One storm hit around 7 and everyone took cover under the dining tent.  By 8 it was done and they said that should be it and it was.  It didn’t rain again that night (wish I could say the same about tomorrow).
Saturday night’s entertainment was a dance party, the Youth Corp got us all up on our feet.  They also introduced themselves and said why they wanted to be there.  Can you say tissues?  *sniff*


Day three and family was coming to see me at a Cheering Station and at Closing Ceremonies.  Here I'm awfully happy to see them at the first Cheering Station of the Day, and get a pic with my daughter.


DSCN0374
Day 3 and 60 miles closer to a cure!  There are more pictures, I promise… I’m waiting for them to be emailed to me.  It rained off and on all day Sunday so I had a poncho on and didn’t take my camera out.  But Ayla and family were out on route Sunday at a cheering station and they did take pictures.
Thankfully the rain held off for Closing Ceremonies at Ford World Headquarters in Dearborn.
Another walk in the books and my first one with blisters.  Can I also whine about my left foot being sore and going numb?  I am getting old!!!
Thank you to all those that donated and supported me along the way.  The 3 Day experience is one that I love and love being a part of.  I hope to continue on and that one day we will find a cure.  Because Everyone Deserves a Lifetime.

4 comments:

  1. Ponys only on 3Day? Don't you mean only in Michigan? You didn't have no farm animals here. LOL

    ReplyDelete
  2. Breezy, congrats on a job well done! Sorry about the blisters.... I haven't had a year without them :( but you know what they say, blisters don't need Chemo!!

    <3 youth crew <3.. they are amazing!

    I loved the pictures!!

    xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved reading the recap. I was so sad I missed closing ceremony :( You did a great job though!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. *snort* I agree with Carey about it being a Michigan thing.

    Way to go on braving Sunday's rain. Yuck!

    And holy smokes! Ayla really looks all grown up!!!!

    ReplyDelete